Autumn

The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.
~ September, John Updike
I have a love/hate relationship with autumn. I love the warm, post summer air that is not too hot and not yet cold. I love the smell of the leaves as they begin to change colour and fall to the ground. I love the smells of fresh baked apple and pumpkin pies, and hot "fall" dinners like roasts, stews and chili. Mmm!
But I hate the mornings that get gradually colder and leave frost on our cars and sidewalks, and the impending threat of - gasp! - snow and winter. *shudder* The fall implores me to stay outside as much as I can before returning once again to hibernation mode. Because I do not "do" winter.
To kick off the first day of fall this year, we had a little "welcome fall" party. We drove out to the apple orchard and picked some yummy Mac's and Empire apples, and sifted through the pumpkin patch for that perfect pie pumpkin (although I think our pumpkin will make about a dozen pies!). We came home and feasted on a yummy roast chicken dinner with stuffing and all the fixings, and my first apple pie of the season.
Alice says I make "the best pies!" and I should sell them in a store. Hmm, she might be on to something. Anyone like to place an order....?
Happy fall!

No comments: